Simple ways to save water indoors
While water-saving efforts often are focused outdoors because so much water is used for landscapes, there are several low-cost ways to save water indoors. The collective impact is substantial when hundreds of thousands of people do their part.
- Trim a minute or two off showers and collect water in a bucket for plants while it’s warming up. Saves 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Program dishwashers to skip pre-rinse and extra rinse cycles. Saves two to four gallons per load.
- Don’t leave the water running while washing or rinsing dishes by hand. Saves 2.2 gallons per minute.
- Wash only full loads of laundry. Saves at least 15 gallons per load.
- Fix leaky toilets. Saves 30 to 50 gallons per day.
- Fix leaky faucets. Saves 15 to 20 gallons per day.
- Install aerators with flow restrictors on faucets. Saves more than four gallons per day.
— These tips are provided as a public service by the San Diego County Water Authority. For more information and ideas on water conservation, go www.WaterSmartSD.org.